AlphaServer 1000: GUI console and more

From: Terje Sten Bjerkseth <tsb_at_admintec.no>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 1995 20:51:45 +0100 (MET)

My apologies for this getting somewhat big. Everyting's related to a
brand new AlphaServer 1000 4/200 with OSF/1 3.0B. After running the FIS and
getting a new kernel, the system won't boot into the GUI console. If I boot
the genvmunix kernel, the GUI starts automatically. Even after a doconfig,
the system boots into terminal console (console is set to graphics, of course).

What do I need to do to my kernel to get the GUI console (assuming this
has something to do with kernel configuration)?

Also, is it possible to run the built-in video at anything larger than 640x480,
from the release notes I get the impression I can't.

A couple of hints regarding the GUI console: When the system starts, I can
see the monitor go into graphics mode immediately after "Starting at ..."
and just before the "PCXAL keyboard, language..." messages. This doesn't
happen when I get non-GUI console, although I still get both messages. With
non-GUI I also get "Generic Console support installed" before the "Alpha boot"
message -- sounds like this has some importance, but where is it defined?

Our server was delivered with a DE435 AUI/BNC/TP NIC. From the console,
it seems as if only AUI and TP is supported. We believed we ordered a card
with only AUI and TP, so we bought a DEC MAU too. Interesting to see that the
MAU is so big that I actually had to move the NIC one slot down to get
enough space for it -- and the card even *has* a BNC connector! I'm going
to test the different options myself, but I'll be surprised if I get the BNC
connector to work with my current console.

The system came with ECU 1.5. This version doesn't recognise the machine.
Is 1.6 the latest release? Does anyone know if Digital plans on putting
these kind of things on the net (I saw 1.55 on CIS but no 1.6)? When we get
a new system here in Norway, it's generally shipped directly from England
or Denmark. It's *very* hard to get new CD's and diskettes when you really
need them.

TIA for any help!
--
Terje Sten Bjerkseth <tsb_at_admintec.no>,  AdminTec a.s,  Postboks 241,
N-3201 Sandefjord,  Norway,  +47 33 47 03 20,  faks +47 33 47 05 45.