Problem getting shere with DEC OSF/1 V3.0 uucp

From: G. Del Merritt <del_at_giant.IntraNet.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 1995 15:25:28 -0500 (EST)

I am having trouble getting a "shere" when I have a system log into a uucp
account via the MMJ serial port on my AXP 3800 running OSF/1 V3. I had the
same problems with V2, which is why I upgraded to V3.

I have a uugetty set up on /dev/ttyd1; I can log in as "me" fine. I can run
editors, read man pages, etc. And if I subsequently "su Usystem" (not it's
real name), I get a "shere" displayed, showing that uucico is "working" as the
default login shell. However, when I log in directly as "Usystem", nothing is
displayed and the port is wedged until I kill -9 the process running uucico on
that tty. After the kill, I get a prompt from the uugetty and can log in
again.

The entry in my /etc/uugettydefs looks like this:

9600 # B9600 CLOCAL CS8 OPOST ONLCR HUPCL # B9600 CLOCAL CS8 BRKINT ICRNL OPOST ONLCR CREAD HUPCL ISIG ICANON #login: # 9600

This port is a hardwired connection, currently with Tx,Rx, and signal Gnd
only. The remote system always "dials" in; the OSF system is never to
initiate a session. I have tried this with both a uugetty and a "regular"
getty; I get the same results.

I have reviewed my Systems, Devices, and Permissions files and they look OK
based on past experience and the man pages. My remote system is the only
system that requires uucp access to the OSF system. If someone knows of an
"obvious" reason this is not working as I expect, I would appreciate your
comments via this list or private email.

As a side note, I had posted this to comp.unix.osf.osf1 but I don't altogether
trust my news connection. Likewise, my subscription to _this_ list "has been
forwarded to the owner of the `alpha-osf-managers' list for approval", so I
would ask that you CC: me directly on any response you might make.

Many thanks in advance.

Del Merritt del_at_IntraNet.com
IntraNet, Inc., One Gateway Center #700, Newton, MA 02158
Voice: 617-527-7020; FAX: 617-527-6779
All my opinions. Just say no to Clipper.