TCP/IP equivelant of LAT devices

From: Alexander Cutler <alex_at_regis8.butlins.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 1995 11:31:51 +0000 (GMT)

Hiya,

We have several platforms running OSF/1 upto version 3.0B. Although OSF/1
gives partial LAT support it does not give the 'set host/lat' functionality.
This gives me a problem as we need to create a service on a DECserver 300
or a DECserver 700 that the computer can connect to. Can I do this?

Assuming I cannot without buying some software, I have written a small socket
program so that I can attach to the terminal server on a particular port
by doing:

Local> set telnet listener 2003 ports 3
Local> set telnet listener connections enabled

In fact I would prefer a TCP/IP solution because LAT is not particularly
suitable for our WAN. I soon realized that I would need to write
master/slave PTY code to achieve something both an interactive session, and
the ability to link a /dev/ttyNN to the driver. This would, for instance,
allow me to have remote TCP/IP printer that do not require LPD to be running
on the terminal server. This, however, would take time and effort to write,
so before I do, is there any software already out there that can do this?

Currently I can partially achieve the interactive solution by typing:

$ telnet <Terminal-server> <port>

But this only works interactively, and TELNET is to sophisticated/brain-dead
for the simple connection I require.

Cheers in advance, for any solutions. I will summarize.

Alex Cutler,

Butlin's Limited, Bognor Regis, England