Firmware-upgrade problem

From: Mike Hannon; UCD Physics; (916)-752-4966 <"Mike>
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 1995 13:35:40 PST

Greetings. We have some Alpha workstations here, mostly DEC 3000/400, running
a mix of OSF/1 and OpenVMS. We were about to upgrade a cluster of VMS Alphas
from VMS V1.5 to V6.1. To satisfy the prerequisites for this, we upgraded the
firmware on all the relevant machines. That is, we upgraded it on all but ONE
of the machines. On that one machine we get a message suggesting that the
enable-firmware-upgrade jumper is in the wrong position.

As I implied above, we have upgraded several other Alphas, and the jumper is in
the same position as in the other machines. I might add that the "Secure
System" jumper is in the OFF position, as it is on the other machines. We've
also tried most of the obvious, stupid tricks, such as reseating the jumpers,
deliberately moving the jumper to the wrong position, swapping jumpers with
other machines, etc. We have likewise tried using different executable files
to do the firmware upgrade (i.e., deliberately selecting the second-to-most
recent upgrade, rather than the most-recent, etc.). None of this has made any
difference. Also, there are no hardware errors reported during power-up
diagnostics.

I suppose that the REALLY obvious thing to do is to dump the problem onto DEC
Field Service, but the machines are not on a service contract, and the people
that sign checks around here do not gladly part with money.

Have we missed something here? Have other people had this problem? And if so,
how did you resolve it? Thanks.

                                        - Mike
Michael Hannon hannon_at_physics.ucdavis.edu (Internet)
Dept. of Physics
University of California ucdhep::mike (42385::mike) (HEPnet)
Davis, CA 95616-8677 916-752-4966 (Voice) 916-752-4717 (FAX)