mh summary

From: <johnk_at_water.ca.gov>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 1995 14:22:34 PST

First I'd like to thank everybody out there for their tips and
suggestions:

Fred Larsen <fred_at_fagmed.uit.no>
David Warren <warren_at_atmos.washington.edu>
Knut Hellebo <bgk1142_at_nho.hydro.com>
Arrigo Triulzi <a.triulzi_at_ic.ac.uk>
Jim Lawton <jim_at_ilo.dec.com>
Fergal Mc Carthy <fergal_at_erin1.ucd.ie>
Jon Eidson <J.Eidson_at_tcu.edu>
Anthony Baxter <anthony_at_aaii.oz.au>
Bernhard Schneck <schneck_at_physick.tu-muenchen.de>
Dave Hill <ddhill_at_zk3.dec.com>
David Fagan <fagan_at_large.fnal.gov>

And extra special kudos to iglesias_at_draco.acs.uci.edu, who gave me his
configuration files and several patches for mh 6.8.3. I woulda been
busy trying to get it to compile without him!

The masses gave many praises to exmh, a tcl based mail reader written
by Brent Welsh that can be found at...
ftp://parcftp.xerox.com/pub/exmh/exmh-1.5.3.tar.Z
Also, there is a mailing list for exmh which resides at
exmh-users_at_parc.xerox.com

For anybody who still wants to use Xmh, it can be found at ftp.x.org.
I think the most interesting reader that I was told about is Ishmail,
which is an actual product for sale, but looks quite nice and runs on
a variety of systems. Personally I wish I had found this a few months
back before we started using Eudora on our PCs and Macs, but I guess
ya can't get everything right the first time.;) Anyways, for
more information about Ishmail, here's a URL:
html://www.hal.com/products/sw/ishmail/index.html
I'm trying to get a demo copy just to see what it's like. So if
anybody's interested, drop me a line and I'll post a followup giving a
review of it whenever I get it.

One or two people suggested dxmail. The rest of you can stop laughing now.;)
I ran dxmail and found it to be buggy when displaying messages, and just
very basic. Not quite what I'm looking for.

A few more suggested either pine<eeek!> or elm<ok>. I have both of
these installed on our HPs now and am quite happy with them for text based
viewing, but when you're in X11, I think you should use the capabilities
that you have available.
Anyways, thanks one and all for your replies. I appreciate each and
every one of them.

John
John Kinsella, System Administrator Department of Planning
Voice:(916) 653-5706 California Department of Water Resources
Fax:(916) 653-6077 1416 Ninth St, Room 249
inet: johnk_at_dop.water.ca.gov Sacramento, CA 95814