SUMMARY applelaser630 troubles

From: Giorgio Zavarise <zava_at_pluto.dic.unipd.it>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 1995 14:30:05 +0100

ORIGINAL PROBLEM:

I have some trobles with my apple laserwriter 630 pro
I was able to set the parameters for serial connection, but I suspect
I need a special filter to obtain correct printouts.
I noticed that actually when a text file is sent to the printer
some characters of the first line are lost. When I try to print a
postscript file it work randomly. Sometimes everything works, but
very often the printer goes in "stalled" mode, or it complete the spool
but the printout does not come out.

suggestions received:
A)
use the program CAP, which connects unix & appletalk machines
thanks to gallatin_at_isds.Duke.EDU
"
CAP will talk to your printer via ethernet, which is
much faster & much less error prone than using a serial line.
You need to obtain CAP & upgrade it to patch level 192 or better.
Patches can be found at:
gatekeeper.DEC.COM pub/net/appletalk/cap/{cap60.tar.Z,cap.patches/*}
"
B)
check usenet archives to find a filter
thanks to jimix_at_sickkids.on.ca
"
if you check out the usenet archives (ftp.uu.net) you will find a ton
of postscript filters. They even tell you how to set it up.
"
Jimi send me also a simple laserwriter filter, that I have tried withot success,
and a very interesting program ehandler.ps that print a page for each ps error.
He suggested also a program alternative to CAP, which name is netatalk.
C)
use filter /usr/lbin/ln06rof (OSF, I don't know if it exist for ultrix 4.4)
Thanks to Tsuyoshi Kawahito tk_at_jaws.ae.utexas.edu
"
we have our Alpha (OSF/1 v2.0) connected serially to an Apple LaserWriter
Pro 630. Both text and postscript print out fine, but only at 300 dpi
# printcap
#
lp|lp0|0|mac|Mac|LaserWritePro in rm212:\
        :af=/usr/adm/lpacct:\
        :br#9600:\
        :ct=dev:\
        :fc#0177777:\
        :fs#03:\
        :if=/usr/lbin/ln06rof:\
        :lf=/usr/var/adm/lpd-errs:\
        :lp=/dev/tty00:\
        :mc#20:\
        :mx#0:\
        :of=/usr/lbin/ln06rof:\
        :pl#66:\
        :pw#80:\
        :rw:\
        :sb:\
        :sd=/usr/spool/lpd/Mac:\
        :sf:\
        :sh:\
        :xc#0177777:\
        :xf=/usr/lbin/xf:\
        :xs#044040:
"
 Thanks to all who answered

Giorgio

Giorgio Zavarise Tel. +39 49 831480
Istituto di Scienza e Fax +39 49 831488
Tecnica delle Costruzioni E-Mail
University of Padua zava_at_caronte.dic.unipd.it
Via Marzolo, 9 zava_at_pluto.dic.unipd.it
I-35131 Padova - ITALY