SUMMARY: dump is not working

From: MD <rduta_at_macross.umsl.edu>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 1995 08:56:15 -0600

My original question was:

>I tried to use dump the other day, and no matter what options I give it it
>always does this:
>
>% dump
>dump: SIGSEGV received -- ABORTING!
>IOT trap
>
>Has anyone out there seen this kind of error?
>
>I have done successful rdump to the osf (from a Ultrix machine), but when
>I try to run dump locally or rdump locally for that matter i keep getting that
>error.
>
>restore works fine. ...
>
>Anyone have any ideas how this fix this. (both /sbin/dump, and /usr/sbin/dump
>have the same problems, so i don't think it's a library problem)
>
>If i can't get dump to work I will just have to resort to tar, so as you can
>see I'm pretty desperate..
>
>thanks in advance.

Quick summary:

The problem was my /etc/fstab file. It looked something like this:

/dev/rz1a / ufs rw 1 1
/proc /proc procfs rw 0 0
-s40960 /tmp mfs rw 1 0

and the "-s40960" was the cause of the problem. I had to comment it out
in order to get dump to work.

One thing I failed to mention is that I'm running OSF2.0. I don't know
if the problem exists on OSF3.0
The replies I got were as follows:
-----
From: alan_at_nabeth.cxo.dec.com