Kermit - Cannot setup a bi-directional modem line

From: Steve Dumbleton <dumbleto_at_solartron.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 1995 17:04:34 GMT

Adding the following line to /etc/inittab

tty00:23:respawn:/usr/sbin/getty tty00 M9600 vt100

enables me to dial into the alpha using kermit and also
to do file transfer using kermit.

If I delete this line from /etc/inittab I can then dial out
from the alpha using kermit and also do file transfer using
kermit.

What I can't do is configure it for a bidirectional line
to handle incoming and outgoing calls albeit not at the
same time.

In an attempt to do this I installed the UUCP subset and
then modified /etc/inittab to use uugetty as follows...

tty00:23:respawn:/usr/lib/uucp/uugetty -r -t 30 tty00 9600 vt100 #UUCP

This looked quite promising initially as I am now able to attach to
the device in kermit (set line /dev/tty00) where as the getty process
stopped me from attaching to tty00.
Unfortunately the result of the dial command is as follows...

# /usr/local/bin/kermit
C-Kermit 5A(190), 4 Oct 94, for DEC OSF/1 AXP
 Copyright (C) 1985, 1994,
  Trustees of Columbia University in the City of New York.
Type ? or HELP for help.
C-Kermit>set modem-dialer hayes
C-Kermit>set line /dev/tty00
C-Kermit>set speed 9600
/dev/tty00, 9600 bps
C-Kermit>dial 373806
 Number: 373806
 Device: /dev/tty00, modem-dialer: hayes, speed: 9600
 Dial timeout: 41 seconds
 To cancel: type your interrupt character (normally Ctrl-C).
DIAL Failure: Error initializing modem.
C-Kermit>

I noticed that the modem did go off hook for a few seconds.

Stephen Dumbleton
dumbleto_at_solartron.com
Solartron Instruments
a division of Solartron Group Ltd