Summary/Solution and new Display Problem

From: Robert Adley <adley_at_mprgate.mpr.ca>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 95 09:15:25 PST

Hi,

At the end of January, I posted a problem we were having where an
application was core dumping when running on a sun and displaying
back to a alphastation 200 4/233 running OSF/1 (original post is
below).

Whatever the problem was (neither the software company or DEC had
any idea of why this was happening), it disappeared when I upgraded
to X11R6!!

Just last week we got our OSF/1 V3.2 CD. Included on the CD is X11R6.
You can install it without trashing your current installation of R5,
and toggle back and forth between the two (great move on DEC's part).
Anyways, this solved the display and core dumping problem.

Now there's a new problem. On the same box, alphastation 200 4/233
running OSF/1 V3.2 and X11R6, with a new Digital 21" color monitor
(VRC21), we get image lines all over the screen. It's hard to
describe, but moving a window, or creating new windows leaves
image lines all over the place. A 'refresh' will remove them,
but you have to refresh all the time. It is very annoying.

Has anybody else seen this or is anybody willing to test it out
on their machine? When you install V3.2 you get R5, but R6 is on
the CD and it's simply a case of installing the subsets and
reading the server.README file which tells you how to switch
between the two.

The 3.2 CD also contains the new CDE (Common Desktop Environment).
Looks a lot like HPview with OpenWindows type calendar manager and
mailtool.

Rob.

  Robert J. Adley |
  Unix Systems Management | Voice : (604) 293-5474
  MPR Teltech Ltd. | FAX : (604) 293-5787
  8999 Nelson Way, | email : adley_at_mpr.ca
  Burnaby, BC, Canada, V5A 4B5 |

... ORIGINAL POSTING ...