SUMMARY Upgrade OSF/1 from 3.0 to 3.2 + Problem

From: <jnolan_at_ibm.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 95 07:35:26 +0000

My Orginal posting:

> OSF-Managers,
> I need to upgrade from 3.0 to 3.2 initially on two systems a
> 3000/400 and a 2100.
> I ran into a number of problems on my 3000 systems when I tried
> to do an upgrade from 2.0 to 3.0. The final analysis/conclusion
> was to do an install of 3.0 rather then an upgrade. My question
> briefly is before I do this upgrade is there any "gotcha's" that
> I need to be aware of that is not documented in the installation
> guide that I should be concerned with? I also. would be
> interested in hearing from those who have already accomplished
> this upgrade without any problems. Thanks is advance for your help.

Thanks to those who responded:

del_at_giant.intranet.com (Del Merrit)
intrepid!tb_at_uunet.uu.net (Tom Barkanic)
speno_at_cc.swarthmore.edu (John P. Speno)
seb_at_lns62.lns.cornell.edu (Seldon E Ball Jr)
randy_at_computron.com (Randy Styka)
alastair_Munro_at_ccmsmtpgw.gam.com (Alastair Munro)
sanghvi_at_proto.wilm.ge.com (Arun Sanghvi)

Of those that responded no one had any problems performing the upgrade.
One person suggested, if possible to always do a full installation which
I have to agree with based upon the problems that I have encountered trying
to do an upgrade.

I tried to upgrade a 3000/400 and I ran into the same identical problem when
I tried to upgrade from 2.0 to 3.0 on a 3000/400 and a 3000/800. I spent two
days with DEC support upon the failure to go from 2.0 to 3.0. This time when
the upgrade failed I only spent 1/2 day with DEC support before I abandon hope
and just ran the full install without any problems.

I still have to upgrade some 3000/800's and a 2100. If anyone can shed some
light on the following problem I would be most grateful. The following problem
occurs during the kernel rebuilding process:

*** WARNING ***
An error has occured during system configuration. A partial listing of the error
log file (./errs) follows:

/usr/lib/cmplrs/c/cfe: Fatal: Cannot open the file rm
cc: Error; no source, object or ucode file specified
/usr/lib/cmplrs/c/cfe: Fatal: Cannot open the file vmunix
/usr/lib/cmplrs/c/cfe: Fatal: Cannot open the file vmunix.*
/usr/lib/cmplrs/c/cfe: Fatal: Cannot open the file rm
cc: Error; no source, object or ucode file specified
/usr/lib/cmplrs/c/cfe: Fatal: Cannot open the file edddep
/usr/lib/cmplrs/c/cfe: Fatal: Cannot open the file tags
/usr/lib/cmplrs/c/cfe: Fatal: Cannot open the file TAGS
/usr/lib/cmplrs/c/cfe: Fatal: Cannot open the file locore.i
/usr/lib/cmplrs/c/cfe: Fatal: Cannot open the file linterrs
/usr/lib/cmplrs/c/cfe: Fatal: Cannot open the file makelinks
/usr/lib/cmplrs/c/cfe: Fatal: Cannot open the file *.log
/usr/lib/cmplrs/c/cfe: Fatal: Cannot open the file *LOG*
/usr/lib/cmplrs/c/cfe: Fatal: Cannot open the file rm
cc: Error; no source, object or ucode file specified
/usr/lib/cmplrs/c/cfe: Fatal: Cannot open the file makedep
/usr/lib/cmplrs/c/cfe: Fatal: Cannot open the file maketagfiles
/usr/lib/cmplrs/c/cfe: Fatal: Cannot open the file rm
cc: Error; no source, object or ucode file specified
/usr/lib/cmplrs/c/cfe: Fatal: Cannot open the file makelint
/usr/lib/cmplrs/c/cfe: Fatal: Cannot open the file makelintfiles
/usr/lib/cmplrs/c/cfe: Fatal: Cannot open the file makelintobjs
/usr/lib/cmplrs/c/cfe: Fatal: Cannot open the file lint
/usr/lib/cmplrs/c/cfe: Fatal: Cannot open the file *.ln
/usr/lib/cmplrs/c/cfe: Fatal: Cannot open the file *.lint
(if [ -s makedeperrs ]; then false; else true; fi)
*** Exit 1
Stop.

 // James D. Nolan
 // Wetherill Associates, Inc. (WAI)