Re: Legato NetWorker server, Alpha clients

From: <jldetter_at_cca.rockwell.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 95 08:36:27 -0500

>Greetings.
>
>We have Legato NetWorker (4.0.2) running on a Sun SPARCstation 10,
>serving a number of Novell Netware and IBM RS/6000 clients. We desire
>to extend this service to our community of Alphas.
>
>Legato doesn't offer the client software for Alphas; DEC does. So I looked
>at the Installation Guide for PolyCenter NetWork Save and Restore for
>DEC OSF/1 (NetWorker version 3.1), and it appears that the approved
>technique is:
>
>1) Purchase the License PAKs for the server and client software
>
>2) Load the server and client subsets
>
>3) Install the server and client software on the server
>
>4) Then, on the client(s), ftp the client software tarfile from the
> server, unroll it, and bake until done.
>

>Our problem is that we *already* have a NetWorker server, of the genuine
>Legato variety, so we're not interested in paying for the DECnsr server
>license, and we're not interested in loading the server software subset.
>
>All we want is the client-software tarfile that's embedded in the BRXCKIT300
>or 310 subset, so we can load it onto the Alpha clients.
>
>Can we do this? Can we pay for just the Client license (DECNSR-NET-CLNT),
>and then load just the BRXCKIT3xx subset?
>
>We don't mind paying for the software we use; we just don't want to pay for
>the software we don't. If anyone has done this, and in particular if they've
>had interesting times in doing this, please reply to me, and I'll summarize.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Jeff Jewett
>Core Computing Services
>Computer Science Center
>University of Maryland, College Park
>301-405-3054

Jeff
We also purchased our Networker from Legato. We
were able to get our local DEC sales person to
agree to let us buy one copy of the DECNSR software
and then load the client on all of our OSF boxes.

All the license does is allow you to unload the
tar set with setld. Once you have loaded the tar
set you use nsr-ize to install from there.

Not sure if this is legal but the DEC guys seem
okay with it.

Good luck

Jeff Detterman

--------
| Jeff Detterman (319) 395-2274 Rockwell International |
| Unix Network Administrator Collins Commercial Avionics Div |
| jeff_at_cca.rockwell.com Cedar Rapids, Iowa 52498 |