File names in ar?

From: Brad Daniels <biles.com!daniels_at_jabberwock.biles.com>
Date: Tue, 16 May 1995 09:11:19 -0500

Several times lately, I have bumped into ar's 15 character limit on file
names. The symptom I would see is that files would not rebuild because
make thought it was up-to-date based on the entry for another file which
had the same first 15 characters. It's extremely annoying. Is there a
way to force ar to use longer file names? If not, is there an alternative
to ar? Does this get fixed in later versions? Even 20 characters would
be enough, though I'd prefer 31.

Thanks!
- Brad