SUMMARY: Dial-up Access Problems

From: Kevin Quiggle <quiggle_at_mms.water.ci.detroit.mi.us>
Date: Thu, 18 May 1995 08:10:24 -0400 (EDT)

Note: Although we have not fully resolved our problems in this area, it has
become clear that other Alpha users are having similar problems. I felt
it was better to get out some useful (although incomplete) information,
rather than wait to have *all* the answers.

Many thanks to all who responded to this question.

Original question/problem:

We are experiencing numerous problems with getting dial-up access to our
system to work properly. For test purposes, we are using the MS/Windows
terminal software (emulating VT-100); however, other terminal emulation
programs we have tried exhibit similar symptoms, which are:

   - system won't recognize CTRL-X
   - man pages don't scroll properly
   - other, similar incorrect responses

We are using a hunt&seek group of phone lines connected to five modems,
which are connected in turn to a DecServer 90M. Our system is an Alpha AXPdu.txt
300S running Digital Unix 3.2a.

If someone has a fix for this problem, or even a suggestion as to what we
should be looking at (server configuration, terminal configuration, etc.),
we would appreciate it.

Summary of replies to date: