Protection problem starting dxterm (DECterm)

From: <golden_at_falcon.invincible.com>
Date: Thu, 18 May 95 10:15:25 -0400

I apologize if this is a FAQ or in the archives (I did look).

I am having a problem on my OSF/1 system where only root can
log into the Motif session manager. All other users see an
error message in the dxconsole window of "can't open console"
and "DECterm: Can't open pty!". Upon trying to start an xterm,
the message "xterm: Error 14, errno 13: Permission denied" appears.

I've tried checking for all the obvious devices and protections in
the /dev directory.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Dave Golden
golden_at_invincible.com