Seeking suggestions for Oracle server

From: John P. Speno <speno_at_cc.swarthmore.edu>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 1995 14:45:19 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Alpha Managers:

Swarthmore College is in the process of switching to a new administrative
database system. The college has chosen an Oracle based product called
SCT/Banner as the software for the new system. I get to help in picking the
hardware. I'm seeking advise on the best configuration for the server. My
options are not limited to an alpha server, but I'd prefer one since that is
what I know best. It'll run Oracle 7.x, Oracle Forms 4.x, SQL*Net 2.x and
should be able to handle 65 users comfortably with a mix of client/servers
apps and form based programs running on the server itself. Go wild, but be
reasonable (I don't think we can get an 8400 with 12 cpus :-( )

I will post a summary of responses.

--
John P. Speno, speno_at_swarthmore.edu, Swarthmore College Computing Center
	     "There is no wisdom greater than kindness."