POP3 mail

From: John Richards <john_at_zyqad.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 95 14:44:07 +0100

Hello all,

I've got a problem with configuring the POP3 mail supplied with OSF/1 v3.0.
I can start the popd but I can't build a pop database that the system will use.
I have one user, at the moment, who I want to use POP3 - our secretary - I don't
fancy trying to teach her to use mh 'cos she'd also have to learn emacs, logging
in to the server etc.

I've got a copy of Pegasus mail on her PC which will use SMTP to send out but
insists on receiving email via POP3. No problem I'll set up POP3 on the server
and bingo! Well I built a single line POP database but popwrd fails with

        no entry for ~pop

and popaka fails with

        setbbinfo(pop, POP, 1) failed -- unknown user: pop

The man pages are distinctly skimpy on the subject and I can't find anything in
the online docs either.

Does anyone know how to set up the mailer to work with POP as well as SMTP?

All ideas gratefully received and I'll post a summary if I get any answers.

John