How to monitor console activities?

From: <sherry_at_canidae.cps.msu.edu>
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 1995 14:13:44 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Lifesavers:

    This is a continuation of my earlier question about /dev/kbd. All
I am trying to do is to monitor activities at the console. When a user
logs in from the console, stop all background jobs; when the console
has been idle for over 15 minutes, resume them. I have successfully
opened /dev/console and /dev/mouse. However, when I used stat to obtain
the access time and modification time, the numbers did not reflect the
real activities. They did not change when I moved the mouse around or
typed in one of the xterms. Xdm is capable of knowing if a user is at
the console, and how long the console has been idle. So there must be a
way of doing it. Where is this information? How can I obtain it?

    This is really ruining my weekend. :-(

    Thanks a lot.

Sherry