SUMMARY: mountd security

From: Henk Mos <H.J.Mos_at_fys.ruu.nl>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 1995 20:53:03 +0200 (GMT+0200)

My original question:

>I have a question about mountd and getting filehandles for non-root users.
>According to the manpage of mountd it's impossible get a file handle
>for non root users as long as you don't use the -n option.
>
>What I see is that (OSF 2.1) when a filesystem from A is exported to B
>every user on B can get a filehandle, which means that giving all
>users the same uid/gid will give about the same protection as we have now :-(

No answers came from the list. I dropped the question at Digital Support
and at last I got the answer that this is a known bug in 2.1 and 3.0/3.2.
Patches are available for 3.0/3.2 and it should be fixed in version 3.2C

I still consider it a serious security bug so I don't understand why
these patches were not distributed to all registrated users.

Henk Mos

Henk J. Mos, Dept. of Physics and Astronomy, University of Utrecht
P.O. Box 80.000, 3508 TA Utrecht, The Netherlands
Phone: +31 30 532239  Fax: +31 30 531601  Email: H.J.Mos_at_fys.ruu.nl