illegal instruction panics

From: Ray Bellis <Ray.Bellis_at_psy.ox.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 95 14:20:06 +0100

One of the partners of a company that I do some part-time work for
has just brought his 3000/300 system into the UK from the US. It
worked OK for a couple of days but then it died. Now the system
refuses to boot. During the boot up stage, just as it gets to the
point where it appears that the kernel has finished initialising
the system it panics with a message like:

vmunix: panic: trap: illegal instruction
vmunix: kernel inst fault=4, status= 1, pc=fffffc000??????

At this point the system tries to reboot again, and again, and again...

Does anyone have any good ideas what might cause this sort of failure?
At the moment my first option is to try and boot from a CD and reload
the system firmware.

thanks,

Ray.

--
Computing Officer, MRC Research Centre in Brain and Behaviour, Oxford
<http://www.mrc-bbc.ox.ac.uk/~rpb>  <mailto:Ray.Bellis_at_psy.ox.ac.uk>