Current Digital UNIX releases

From: Dr. Tom Blinn, 603-881-0646 <tpb_at_zk3.dec.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 95 09:43:46 -0400

Chris Bamber asked:

> Can anyone what the latest release of OSF/1 (or Dec Unix) is. I have
> Release 3.2 but I hear that 3.4 is on the cards. Can anyone confirm
> this and perhaps indicate when future releases are due. Sometimes I
> find it very difficult to keep up with all these new versions.

The release of Digital UNIX that's currently shipping is V3.2B. It will be
replaced real soon now by V3.2C (which was called T3.4 in early field test,
but because it is 100% compatible for applications with V3.2, V3.2A, and
V3.2B we have chosen to not change the number base from V3.2 but simply
ratchet up the final letter).

You can update install (that is, run installupdate) to get from V3.2, V3.2A,
or V3.2B to V3.2C. If you're at an older release than one of those, then
you can either first update to one of the interrim releases listed and then
update to V3.2C, or you can re-install from scratch. Remember that you may
need to update your firmware as well, and you may need to do it more than
once along the upgrade path if you're really out of rev. If you're running
V1.2 or V1.3 still (some people seem to be), then you probably should just
get to the current release by reinstalling.

Also, remember that you're supposed to have valid licenses for the software
and you're supposed to register them in the LMF database. Some of the older
versions of Digital UNIX didn't check very carefully but the latest ones do
and if you don't have your license PAKs available and you re-install, you
may not be able to get some things to work. Be sure to either save off the
old LMF database and restore it, or have the license PAKs available and do
the re-registration after you re-install. (Updates preserve the LMF data.)

If you have removed system files (such as .new..* and .proto..*) to free up
disk space, then you may not be able to do an installupdate to get up to the
latest releases. But if you haven't messed around too much, you should be
able to do the installupdate; I've done it on several systems and I'm not a
real expert or genius about system management.

Hope this information is helpful to all of you.

Tom

 Dr. Thomas P. Blinn, UNIX Software Group, Digital Equipment Corporation
  110 Spit Brook Road, MS ZKO3-2/U20 Nashua, New Hampshire 03062-2698
   Technology Partnership Engineering Phone: (603) 881-0646
    Internet: tpb_at_zk3.dec.com Digital's Easynet: alpha::tpb

  Worry kills more people than work because more people worry than work.

     My favorite palindrome is: Satan, oscillate my metallic sonatas.
                                         -- Phil Agre, pagre_at_ucsd.edu

  Opinions expressed herein are my own, and do not necessarily represent
  those of my employer or anyone else, living or dead, real or imagined.