SUMMARY: Console messages..

From: Cenon B.C. Marana Jr. <bonn_at_durian.usc.edu.ph>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 1995 19:23:54 +0800 (HKT)

Credit goes to:

<alan_at_nabeth.cxo.dec.com>
Ross Alexander <rwa_at_cs.athabascau.ca>

My question:

>I just would like to inquire as to what this console message mean and its
>implications.. What are to be adjusted as preventive measures..

>ace0:0 input silo overflow

alan_at_nabeth.cxo.dec.com suggests:
--------------------------------

        If the "ace" device is a serial interface with a buffer for
        input, then data came in faster than the system was able
        empty the buffer and it overflowed. Such buffers are
        often called silos. This could indicate that the system
        was busy and couldn't service interrupts fast enough or
        that a device on the interface was transmitting characters
        too fast. If it happens with great frequency, consider
        slowing down the devices on the other end of the interface.

        The extra 0 may indicate which serial line overflowed.

Ross Alexander sez:

The 16550AFN 'ACE' serial chip is being presented with input faster
than the OS is reading it. Usually, this means that the flow-control
handshaking isn't working properly. You'll need to consider whether
you can use RTS/CTS out-of-band handshaking or XON/XOFF in-band
handshaking; this depends on details of the modem or serial device
tied to ace0. Have a look at the stty man page for further details.

Bonn
:)