Printing from dxbook

From: Zdzislaw Meglicki <Zdzislaw.Meglicki_at_cisr.anu.edu.au>
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 1995 13:28:47 +1000 (EST)

I seem to have problems producing a legible print-out from DEC's dxbook.
Printing itself works, but the resulting output is of extremely poor
quality. Not only does it look ugly, but, more importantly, words are
either joined or even missing occasionally. This happens both in
PostScript and text modes, and regardless of whether dxbook displays
under DECwindows on an Alpha workstation, or under, say, Sun's Open
Windows on a Sun ELC.

I enclose a sample of what comes out from the "Introduction to OSF DCE
...", page 1

> The client side of [missing word] application is the part that
> resides on the node thatinitiates the distributed
> request and receives the [missing word] of the service (for
> example, a workstation that [missing word] that a file be
> printed). The server sideof the application is the
> part that resides on thenode that receives and
> executes the distributed request(for example, the
> node with the printer). [missing word] this model, two dif-
> ferent sets of code areproduced-one that runs as
> a client, the other asa server.

I ought to add that the output that appears on the screen is readable,
even if not very pretty. There are no missing words, anyway.

I must admit that being used to excellent quality of printed output that
comes from Sun's Answerbook, I am very unhappy with what I get from
DEC's dxbook. The more so as our Australian DEC representatives told us
that since documentation is available on a CD, they no longer import
documentation in printed form from the US.

Is there a simple remedy to this problem?

Greetings from Down Under,

 Zdzislaw Meglicki, Zdzislaw.Meglicki_at_cisr.anu.edu.au,
 Parallel Computing Research Facility, CISR,
 The Australian National University, Canberra, A.C.T., 0200,
 Australia, fax: +61-6-249-0747, tel: +61-6-249-0158