ISA modem board and pc peripherals

From: Ernie Rael <ernie_at_MasPar.COM>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 95 13:29:35 -0700

I'd like to put a high speed fax/modem board in an ISA slot in a pci
based work station running dec-unix. Finding a board is the easy part,
but what about drivers? The provided DOS driver is of little use (isn't
it?). I'm not very familiar with the PC world, but a rom bios driver
embedded on the board also seems pretty useless (unless the alpha
includes an x86-PC emulator).

Does anyone have experience with installing a modem board into an
ISA slot and hooking a driver into digital unix. More to the point,
is there a digital-unix driver available that is compatible with common
fax/modem boards? I've looked through the driver man pages and browsed
the net a bit, but can't find any pointers to *drivers* relating to the
plethora of ISA boards out there. We're contacting board vendors, but
the chances of them providing a driver seems low.

Any hints, suggestions or pointers will be appreciated.
Summary will be forthcoming (i hope).

-ernie
ernie_at_maspar.com