[Summary] Printing through a JETDirect card

From: <"Stephen>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 1995 08:17:29 +0000

Greetings,

        I would first of all like to thank all of the people who took the
trouble to reply to my little problem. These people include (I'm sorry if
I have missed anyone off this list) :-

        Harald Lundberg
        Matthias Schlett
        Kevin Behrooz
        Robin Kundert
        Brian McMahon
        Christopher L. Davis
        Magnus Harlander
        Debbie Colwell
        Michael N. LeVine
        Joe (joe_at_resptk.bhp.com.au)
        Anne Henderson

The response was magnificent, a truly worldwide effort.

My original query, in a nutshell, was to print direct from my OSF/1
Pathworks nodes to a JETDirect card in various HP printers. I had
previously been printing via a SUN or OS/2 node, but I wished to take the
most direct route, with the least possible potential points of failure. The
main consensus of opinion was that I should do the following :-

1) Allocate the JETDirect card a TCP/IP address and host name.
2) Enter hostname and address in /etc/hosts.
3) Set the IP address on the JETDirect card by using the printer front
        panel menus.
4) Telnet into the card to set the other parameters.
5) Configure in /etc/printcap as if the printers were remote print
        queues on another UNIX host. In printcap the entry would look
        something like (assuming host name assigned of hpprt1 :-

        # Postscript / PCL HP queue
        hpps_1|lp3:\
                :sh:\
                :lf=/usr/adm/lp3err:\
                :lp:\
                :rm=hpprt1:\
                :rp=raw:\
                :sd=/usr/spool/lpd3:\
        #
        # ASCII HP queue
        hptxt_1|lp4:\
                :sh:\
                :lf=/usr/adm/lp4err:\
                :lp:\
                :rm=hpprt1:\
                :rp=text:\
                :sd=/usr/spool/lpd4:\
        #

        The 'rp' parameter given to me in the help that I received was
        generally to be used as in the above example. However, a couple of
        people suggested the the 'rp' could be 'lp' or even 'pasthru'.

As yet I have not had the opportunity to put the above into practice (I am
waiting on the Network Administer to eventually allocate the card an IP
address). I am convinced, though, by the sheer volume of similar replies
that the solution (above) will work OK. There was one oddity pointed out
when using the above method. That was that the prints always have a
trailing page printed. I can live with that.

I would also like to thank the respondants who forwarded me a
program/source code to get round my original problem.

Yours gratefully

Steve Butcher

Stephen.S.J.Butcher_at_Warton.mad.bae.eurokom.ie
(no replies concerning the worlds longest E-Mail address received)