Summary the 2nd: Firmware and sROM on 3000/400

From: John P. Speno <speno_at_swarthmore.edu>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 1995 09:40:03 -0400 (EDT)

Here are some more updates on my question:

>From GRANDLE_at_acodbob.larc.nasa.gov Wed Aug 23 13:37:13 1995
Subject: RE: Summary: Firmware and sROM on 3000/400

what harrold said about replacing the motherboard is not correct, I bombed
mine and all it took to fix it was the $6 rom.

Bob

--------------
>From reisert_at_eng.pko.dec.com Wed Aug 23 13:51:52 1995
Subject: Re: Firmware and sROM on 3000/400

The warning is still true, regardless of there being no ERRATA sheet.

Please check your SROM before upgrading the firmware!

- Jim

--------------
From: roddy_at_visual-ra.swmed.edu (Roddy McColl)
Subject: Firmware and sROM on 3000/400

The official word I got from two sources was this:-

(regardless of the firmware release disk level [3.3 in your case])

Upgrading the firmware to 6.0 on a 3000/400 is fine. DO NOT GO ABOVE
THIS LEVEL without upgading the SROM. It seems you will SERIOUSLY
damage your hardware if you do.

I dont know what releases of Digital Unix are compatible with v6.0
firmware, but if you need 6.1 or higher YOU MUST UPGRADE THE SROM.

The notes which come with the firmware disk tell you which firmware is
compatible with the new OS release. The firmware disk contains an
iso9660 filesystem (i.e. cdfs) and a VMS filesystem. Notes should be
found in /cdrom/cdrom/doc. There are Postscript and text files.

I know *for sure* that firmware v6.0 works on a 3000/400 with SROM at
v1.0 becuase that is the configuration on my machine (OS v3.2).

--
John P. Speno, speno_at_swarthmore.edu, Swarthmore College Computing Center
	     "There is no wisdom greater than kindness."