SUMMARY : /etc/motd

From: Murat Balci <balci_at_baum01.ege.edu.tr>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 1995 11:44:07 +0400 (EET DST)

Hi,
My original question was ;

In our system we have about 13 WS. We use NFS and NIS on this machines.
But, I have a nasty problem. Each of these machines uses their own
/etc/motd files. ! But it is a silly thing to copy all these files when I
change this file. To solve this problem, I moved /etc/motd file to
/usr/local ( which is public dir. ) and I put a soft link from each of
the WS. But this is not working.. They keeps old copies and I should make
this link each time ( I don't know why !) Do you have any idea ? How can
I do this ?

---
I have many answer in short time, thanx for all.
Some of which said ;
like  Hellebo Knut <Knut.Hellebo_at_nho.hydro.com>
The reason why: /sbin/init.d/motd modifies/creates motd file on each
startup/reboot. Edit /sbin/init.d/motd.
Yes this might be a good solution, but there is an other problem, I
rarely shutdown most of the WS's. Even I don't remember when I last shut
down most of the WS, but I frequently change the motd file.
Some other advised me to use rdist. I read the manual of rdist, but it
seemed to be complex to prepare a rdist file, but anyway if I would not
get a new answer I wolud do it. The answer were too simple,
thanx to
 anthony baxter <anthony.baxter_at_aaii.oz.au> and,
 Ken Mayer <kmayer_at_mrj.com>
 Marco Luchini <luchini_at_occitana.ups-tlse.fr>
 Marco Luchini said;
The best way to handle the network message of the day is to cat it in
your user start up files - /etc/profile for the (k)sh and /etc/csh.login
for the tcsh.  I make a soft link from /etc/csh.login to
/usr/local/etc/net.login and in there cat my network message and set
enviroment variables for all user accounts as well.  That way I never
have to tell people to set the environment varibable GLOB_HELP
because I've installed the 'glob' package etc...  This sort of stuff
always causes an endless waste of time.
Yes, its very logical to put a cat a public startup file.
Thanx to everybody.
Sincerely.
murat.
----
Murat Balci	UNIX sys. Admin
s-mail : Ege Universitesi B.A.U.M - Bornova, IZMIR, TURKIYE.
e-mail : balci_at_baum01.ege.edu.tr	Phone :+(90)(232)3881080-253