My system runs REALLY slow...

From: Mary Aplin <aplin_at_alpha.loyno.edu>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 1995 18:29:28 +0200 (MET DST)

Hello all --

I have an Alpha 3300 running OSV v2.0. with 32 meg ram. Right now there
is a class in my terminal lab -- they're using 17 terminals to access my
Alpha. All 13 of my modem lines are busy now, along with about 15
terminals in offices. So, I've got approximately 45 users on my system.
All but 6 users are running e-mail. Response is VERY VERY slow.

I currently have my maxusers parameter set to 512. I had it set to 1024,
and the kernel gobbled up about 50% of the memory. I'm looking for a
happy medium, I guess, for maxusers. Unfortunately, this situation (all
this usage) will probably occur more and more.

If anyone has ANY suggestions as to what I can do to balance the load and
hopefully, make it run a bit faster with this many users, *Please* let me
know.

Mary Aplin
Loyola University, New Orleans