Use of xdm + C2 / V3.2 -> trash network?

From: Daniel Azuelos <dan_at_pasteur.fr>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 1995 09:36:20 +0200 (MET DST)

Hello to anyone interested in X and security problems.

Trying to manage a large number of X terminals from a 2100 4/275
with the DEC C2 functionalies enabled we have encountered funny
behaviour around the use of 'xdm':

. the library /usr/shlib/X11/libXdmDecGreet.so is mandotary!
. that library use a widget 'dxlogin' to manage the authentification
  against the TCB;
. that 'dxlogin' use a very nice BLINKING cursor;

. guess what... this pretty nice BLINKING cursor is implemented
  through an endless exchange of X requests to draw that cursor,
  and then to clear the area where it is located.

How to get rid of that endless traffic? A normal Ethernet class
network can't withstand that 'cosmetic' traffic with 10 X terminals
waiting for a login.

Any hint to modify that behaviour would be appreciated.

BTW, where are described all the nice resources names that are used
by that 'dxlogin' widget to change the design and positions of
'everything' that it displays?

I will post some more undocumented nice hints I've already found
if interest on that topic appears.
Thanks for your help.
--
dan         +The alignment of the planets is wrong, try again later.;