Dumping 8.0Gb RAID UFS to 5.0Gb Exabyte tape under OSF/1 V3.2

From: Anne Henderson <a.henderson_at_dem.csiro.au>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 95 14:58:09 EST

Could anynone advise me on how to dump UNIX filesystems over multiple tape
volumes in OSF/1 V3.2?

We have an 8Gb RAID array and a 5Gb TTi CTS-8510 (Exabyte) Tape unit. We
have recently filled the RAID drive past the 5.0 Gb capacity and are
encountering problems with dumping. The dump command we are using at the
present runs the dump to the end of the tape and gives an error like this:

 dump: NEEDS ATTENTION: Do you want to restart this volume?: ("yes" or "no")

Should the dump program detect end-of-tape and prompt me for a new volume?
It certainly doesn't seem to recognise the end of the tape correctly for the
exabyte.

Alternatively, can I specify tape density, size, etc. parameters to force
dump to stop before the end-of-tape is reached? Having tried a number of
"fudges" such as using default density and a very small size (amounting to a
tape of capacity 1.9Mb, d=default(1600bpi), s=100ft)) , it appears that
these parameters do nothing to halt the dump after theoretical tape capacity
has been reached.

Are there any other dump parameters I need to specify?

Is there any tape device info I need to provide to OSF/1?

Are there any switches I need to set on the tape drive to provide OSF/1 with
a correct end-of-media signal?

I would be very keen to hear from anyone with experience in these matters.

Thank you in advance.

Anne E. Henderson
Tropical Remote Sensing Unit
CSIRO division of Exploration and Mining
PMB Aitkenvale PO, Townsville, 4814
e-mail a.henderson_at_dem.csiro.au
ph:(077)538544 fax:(077)538600