SUMMARY: SUNOS --> ALPHA binary translator

From: Alan Oborne <scoaco_at_thor.cf.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 1995 10:31:07 +0100 (BST)

Hi all,

As usual, an impressively quick response from the list!

The Question;
Has the SUNOS to ALPHA binary translator been released, where can it be
found and is it any good?

Thanks to the following for replying:
Iain McCrone <iain_at_cee.heriot-watt.ac.uk>
"Paul E. Rockwell" <rockwell_at_rch.dec.com>
sherry_at_cps.msu.edu
Jon Reeves <reeves_at_zk3.dec.com>
Chris Glenister <crg_at_cranfield.ac.uk>
Ian Piumarta <piumarta_at_prof.inria.fr>
Larry Church <lchurch_at_postman.ncube.com>
berc_at_pa.dec.com
Rick Beebe <BEEBE%YALEMED.EARN_at_ibm-b.rutherford.ac.uk>
"R.K.Hillman" <R.K.Hillman_at_brighton.ac.uk>

The Answers:

Yes it has been released and is available. Paul Rockwell said:

"FreePort Express (the SunOS to Alpha binary translator) has been available
since August 1. The URL is:

http://fenris.novalink.com/freeport-express

You'll need to access it with a web browser as you will need to fill out
a form with your name, address, etc. That's so we can track who's gotten
the software."

What you get is a Beta version which expires on 1 November 1995. A number
of respondents quoted from the FreePort brochure as follows:

Requirements: (taken from the FreePort brochure)
        All alpha processors supported

        20MB disk space for installation

        12MB for permanent use

        FreePort uses a considerable amount of virtual memory, up to 40X the
        executable size, during translation

        To run the translated program you need the virtual memory required

        by the original program plus 2.4X the size of the original program's
        text section

Restrictions: (also from the brochure)

A working executable cannot be generated when the original is:

        Built for SunOS versions prior to 4.1

        Is a driver

        Does not run correctly on the native system

        Uses extensions to the SPARC instruction set

        Is an operating system

        Uses SunView windowing

        Uses privileged opcodes or system calls (simple SYSCALLS that only
        need root privileges are allowed)

        Uses system call unsupported on Digital Unix

        Reads /dev/mem or /dev/kmem

        Relies on the SunOS operating system hierarchy or SunOS file formats
        where they differ from Digital Unix hierarchy or formats

        Uses registers %07 through %17 to examine the SPARC code stream

        Uses Sun-specific local interfaces to control Sun display hardware

FreePort also does not support:

        Multiprocessor safe code

        Interoperability with Digital Unix system shared libraries

        Certain cases of precise exception behavior.

As one respondent says "Now I think DEC is being up front with what will
not work. Of course they have also given themselves an out for just about
everything."

With all the restrictions it will be interesting to see what *does* work
(one respondent said that a 'hello world' program ported OK!). Also,
with the beta version currently available expiring on 1 November and
no indication whether the production version will be free or will cost
(and if so, how much) it is difficult to justify putting serious
effort into evaluating the software IMHO.

Thanks again to all who replied.

Alan Oborne

|| Alan Oborne (OBORNE_at_CARDIFF.AC.UK) ||
|| Head of Systems Support, UWCC Computing Service ||
|| Cardiff University ||
|| +44 1222 874394 ||