PXG cards unsupported in Dig. UNIX 3.2C

From: Barrett Flake <barrett_at_ra.me.wisc.edu>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 1995 08:22:44 -0500 (CDT)

   This is an informative message for those having PXG
graphics boards in Digital boxes and who are considering
upgrading to Digital UNIX 3.2C. According to a DEC
consultant, 3.2C does not support the PXG cards.

   We have a 3000 AXP 600 with a PXG 24-plane graphics
card which was moved from an older 5000/200 Digital unix
workstation. I tried upgrading the 3000/600 from 3.2 to
3.2C, but would get a kernel panic after booting to
multiuser mode. After spending a some time with DEC
consultants over the phone trying to resolve the problem,
it was suggested that I try a full install of 3.2C
rather than the upgrade. After the full install did not
take either, I agained called DEC and talked to yet another
consultant. After describing the situation, the consultant
immediately asked if I had a PXG card and informed me
that support was dropped in 3.2C. Why the other DEC
consultants I talked to weren't aware of this is
a mystery to me, as well as to why there wasn't
anything in the upgrade documentation indicating that
there is a problem with PXG cards.

   I don't know if the problem is specific to only
some PXG cards with some OSF/1 workstations, but if
you have such a card and are considering upgrading
to 3.2C, it may not work.

  -Barrett Flake