Printer ports on 3000/600

From: Cary Talbot <talbot_at_shazam.wes.army.mil>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 1995 16:23:15 -0500 (CDT)

Greetings:

I'm having difficulties identifying which device file to use for the
DB25 (25-pin) serial port on the back of the 3000/600. I'm attempting
(possibly foolishly) to hook my Apple LaserWriter Select360 to my machine
via a serial connection. I've created a printcap file entry that I think
will work but to no avail so far. I believe the problem centers around
two issues: 1) which "tty" file controls the port I'm trying to use, and
2) which filter to use for the "if" entry of the printcap file.

Here is a copy of the printcap entry:

apple360|lp0|laserwriter360:\
        :af=/usr/adm/lpacct:\
        :br#9600:\
        :ct=dev:\
        :fc#0177777:\
        :fs#023:\
        :if=/usr/lbin/ln07rof:\
        :lf=/usr/adm/lperr:\
        :lp=/dev/tty00:\
        :mx#0:\
        :of=/usr/lbin/ln07rof:\
        :pl#66:\
        :pw#80:\
        :sd=/usr/spool/lpd/apple360:\
        :xc#0177777:\
        :xf=/usr/lbin/xf:\
        :xs#044000:

If I'm silly for thinking I could do what I'm attempting or if you can
shed any light on the matter from experience or (better yet!) from actual
knowledge, then I would be most grateful!

An appropriate and timely summary will, of course, be posted.

Many thanks

Cary A. Talbot, Hydraulic Engineer US Army Corps of Engineers
ATTN: CEWES-HH-G Waterways Experiment Station
3909 Halls Ferry Road
Vicksburg, Mississippi 39180
phone:(601)634-4286 fax:(601)634-4208 email:talbot_at_hl.wes.army.mil