More Information on mailing lists (Info-iris)

From: Dale Cook <cdm_at_hyperk.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 1995 09:16:07 -0600

Julyan wrote:

>There are also Sun, SGI, IBM, etc managers lists. I'm sure I used to have a
>list of all the managers' lists, but I can't find it now. If anyone has such
>a list of lists, I suggest it gets added to the FAQ - it looks like people
>are having a hard time finding out about the lists.

I sent this to the fellow who asked about Irix mailing lists a while back, and
he never posted the info to the list. Since there seems to be some additional
interest, here's the stuff I have from the sgi info-iris list. Sorry if this
is a nusiance:

> [...]
>> This list is gatewayed to/from Usenet newsgroup COMP.SYS.SGI. All of
>> the new comp.sys.sgi newsgroups are fed to the mailing list. Addresses
>> exist for all of the comp.sys.sgi.subject newsgroups in the form
>> info-iris-subject_at_arl.mil and mail sent to info-iris-subject_at_arl.mil
>> addresses are sent both to the Info-Iris Internet mailing list and
>> the appropriate Usenet newsgroup. For example, messages from
>> comp.sys.sgi.hardware are sent to the Info-Iris mailing list with
>> a To: address of info-iris-hardware_at_arl.mil added and replies to
>> comp.sys.sgi.hardware should go to info-iris-hardware_at_arl.mil. Mail
>> sent to the address info-iris_at_arl.mil goes to comp.sys.sgi.misc and
>> the Info-Iris Internet mailing list. Mail to info-iris-announce_at_arl.mil
>> goes directly to just the .announce moderator (see below).
>>
>> Below is a list of the current groups and their description:
>> admin Discussions of system administration issues. This would
>> include issues such as kernel tuning, security, and networking.
>> announce General announcements (conferences, user groups, ftp
>> archives, etc)
>> apps Discussions of various application packages , both those
>> provided by SGI, as well as third party applications.
>> bugs Discussions/posting of bugs found in the IRIX operating system.
>> graphics Discussion of SGI graphics issues (i.e. X-windows, Inventor,
>> Imagelib, GL, etc.) Postings should always be issues specific
>> to using a SGI machine.
>> hardware Discussion of hardware issues including connection of
>> perhipherals.
>> misc Anything else, that doesn't fit one of the above groups.
>>
>> All of the groups except .announce will be unmoderated. It is convention
>> that a .announce group is moderated. Matt Wicks will serve as moderator
>> for the .announce group (Matt Wicks, wicks_at_dcdmjw.fnal.gov).
>>
>> An archive of messages is kept on host FTP.ARL.MIL in file:
>> info-iris/info-iris.txt.xx
>> A summary of the message archives is kept in:
>> info-iris/SUMMARY
>> Public domain software for the Iris submitted by Info-Iris readers
>> is kept in the directory info-iris; an annotated list is found in
>> info-iris/DIR
>> For sites with FTP access to FTP.ARL.MIL, this file can be retrieved
>> with user "anonymous" and any password.
>>
>> Requests to be added to, or deleted from this list, problems with mail
>> getting through, or general administrative questions or concerns should
>> be sent to
>> INFO-IRIS-REQUEST_at_ARL.MIL.
>> Internet subscribers can join by sending a mail message with a subject
>> of ADD. To be removed from the list, the subject should be REMOVE.
>> This is very important due to the volume of failed mail messages.
>> Contributors who wish never to see error messages from the mailer
>> should specify this address as the return-path of their messages.
>>
>> Coordinator: Chuck Kennedy <kermit_at_ARL.MIL>

Dale Cook Telephone (208) 525-3708
Scientech, Inc Email cdm_at_Hyperk.com
1690 International Way Fax (208) 529-4721
Idaho Falls, Id 83402 http://spiderman.hyperk.com/~cdm