SUMMARY - Running Scripts Using Crontab

From: Chris Glenister <crg_at_cranfield.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 1995 16:35:28 PDT

Dear Managers

My original question was that I had a script file which would backup an Oracle file system overnight. The script
would would run perfectly well interactively, but not when submitted it as a cron job.

sample script

#!/bin/sh
LOG=/site/logs/oracle.log
export LOG

# vdump Oracle file system to default tape device
vdump -0uN /u01 >> $LOG 2>&1
vdump -0u /u01 >> $LOG 2>&1

etc.....

Basically in the script, I had not include the full path for the "vdump" command e.g. /sbin/vdump and so it did not
perform a vdump on the file system, but continued to execute the rest of the script quite happily. When I ran the
script interactively I had /sbin in the path.

Thanks to the following people for pointing out the problem :-

Paul Casteels email: casteels_at_uia.ac.be
Liz Stewart email: liz_at_ece.neu
Crispin Harris email: crispin_at_communica.com.au.edu
Dave Wolonski University of Michigan

Regards

Chris
Chris Glenister Email: C.Glenister_at_cranfield.ac.uk
SSLRC, Cranfield University
Silsoe
Bedford. MK45 4DT FAX: 01525 863253