NFS3 hangs

From: Paul M. Collison <p.collison1_at_physics.oxford.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 1995 17:33:28 +0100

 Dear Managers,

 We are having a recurring problem with a number of our Alphas running
 Digital Unix 3.2 (not 3.2A or 3.2C as yet).

 The problem has occured on a number of our machines, but generally is
 confined to our main server. Periodically (about once per week) the machine
 refuses any NFS requests. Although the server itself is fine all other
 machines report "NFS3 server xxx not responding still trying".

 The machine that fails most often serves a lot of home directories via the
 automounter - home directories of each user appear as /home/id in the
 password file and get mapped to a disk by the automounter - as well as
 other filesystems. We use the DEC supplied automounter. We did not have
 any problems before moving to 3.2.

 The machine does not appear to be overloaded (typically 15 users on the
 server, about 30 on other machines, about 120 user processes).
 Free memory is continuously low ( ~150 free pages), but I didn't think this
 was a problem as there is 90% swapspace free. There is no obvious change
 preceeding the NFS hang occurs. I have 128MB of memory and Maxusers is set \
 to 128. I am running 15 nfs daemons which spend most of their time in
 the `I' state ( the automounter is in `S' ) whether NFS is working correctly
 or not.

 My only solution is too reboot. The shutdown always hangs, usually when
 killing the automounter.

 I am assuming that the automounter is the problem and I am running out
 of some related resource, but I don't know what that is. Can anyone help
 or suggest things I should be looking at ?

 Thanks,

   Paul

+ Paul Collison p.collison1_at_physics.oxford.ac.uk +
| Starlink Computer Systems Manager |
| Astrophysics, Nuclear and Astrophysics Lab., tel: +44 1865 273311 |
+ Keble Road, Oxford, OX1 3RH, ENGLAND. fax: +44 1865 273418 +