exporting to a netgroup

From: <"Dave>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 1995 16:41:31 EDT

I would like to export a filesystem to a group of local hosts. Instead of
listing all the hosts explicitly in the /etc/exports file, I have tried to
export to a netgroup containing all these hosts, without success.
Can anyone explain the following strange behavior:

% cat /etc/exports
.
.
export_dir -access=host1:host2:host3...

Then any of the listed hosts (and no others) can mount export_dir.

If, however, I define a netgroup:

% cat /etc/netgroup
.
.
hosts (host1,,) (host2,,) (host3,,)

and export to:
% cat /etc/exports
.
.
export_dir -access=hosts

And then re-push the NIS maps, none of the hosts above can mount export_dir.
Instead you get "Can't access export_dir: Permission denied."
Even more bizarre: if you define a "universal" netgroup:
% cat /etc/netgroup
.
.
universal (,,)

and then export to "universal", still, no hosts can mount export_dir!!!

The only way the I have been able to grant mount access to a group of hosts
has been to explicitly list the host names in etc/exports.

Has anyone been able to export to a NIS netgroup with success?

-Dave Wolinski wolinski_at_umich.edu
 University of Michigan