System Performance and Tuning

From: Dave Rawlinson <djr_at_star.rl.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 1995 10:25:23 +0000 (GMT)

Dear alpha managers,

I guess this is a perennial question, but I hope you can help.

We are interested in generating some sort of system monitoring and tuning
package. We already have the makings of a useful system for Sun Solaris
systems which make use of a public domain package "Symbal" based on the
performance rules in the book "Sun Performance and Tuning" by Adrian
Cockcroft (excellent book).

My question is are there similar books for Digital UNIX containing tuning
rules and are there any really useful tools out there for monitoring
system performance and tuning?

I have had a look at Polycenter but feel its is too large and unwieldy
for my needs, similarly, tools like top, syd and monitor are good but
don't quite go far enough, so I am looking for something that fills the gap.

Any suggestions would be greatfully appreciated and I will summarise the

Many Thanks,

Dave...

Dave Rawlinson Email: djr_at_star.rl.ac.uk
Starlink Project Tele: +44 1235 44 6471
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory Fax: +44 1235 44 5848
Chilton, Didcot, OXON OX11 0QX URL: http://star-www.rl.ac.uk/