oh I do love advfs.

From: Richard A. Muirden <richard_at_rmit.edu.au>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 1995 20:26:45 +1000 (EST)

"mmmmmm.. advfs" (Homer voice).

DOH!

That's what I have to say. For the nth time in two months our alpha2100
(4/200, 3.2C) decides it doesn't like it's /usr/local domain. The disk
checks out. Everything checks out. I found a cool little util in /usr/field
which told me the system thought /usr/local was mounted even though whenever
you try and mount it the system upends with a panic, some error at line 2727
in advfs modeule 6x (I think 63, 65 or 66 - it flashes past too fast to
see). Do you think I could get it back? There's msfsck - just what we'd
want, but oh no, it wants a smegging mounted domain with a .tags dir. That
kind of defeats the purpose of it doesn't it?

Nothing I could do would bring poor humpty back together again. Of course
we had backups from friday, but I mean this keeps happening. The disk
checks out. The system checks out. I can't figure it out. It's like
the advfs stuff is broken in some obscure way. Funny, as it only seems
to have happened since we went to 3.2C.

As a protest I have made /usr/local a ufs filesystem.

However we have bigger filesystems using advfs (ie: 5gig, etc)... I
like the features of advfs, but I'm not going to like it if it decides
to do this to student data, or staff data that changes all the time.

*grrr*

-richard

--
Richard A. Muirden, Sys. Admin |Fan of Shostakovich, "Star Trek" and BOEING!
Mailto: richard_at_rmit.EDU.AU    |Fly the Friendly Skies of United Airlines !