From: Dave Roberts <djr_at_saa-cons.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 1995 15:52:30 +0000 (GMT)

Thanks to all that replied (list at bottom). Summary as follows:-

1. Stopping X-Windows on console
A. Remove (rename) the file /sbin/rc3.d/S95xdm
Some suggested setting console to serial at the ">>>" prompt, but it
appears that it would then rely on a serial terminal on a serial port.

A point of interest here. A lot of people said "Why do this? X is nice,
there are some nifty X-apps to run". Frankly, I'm more concerned about
security than running X-apps. We're a software house, I have clever
people on my systems, and some wanna get root to do that little bit
of tweaking. I think this is something more of you should consider IMHO
of course.

2. CD-ROM claiming to be off-line.
A. Different mount commands for different CD formats. I've got it
working for UFS CD's but not for ISO9660, despite the kernel including
the CDFS option. I'm working on this one, but anyone got ideas, then
please get back to me.

3. Where have they put the rc files.
A. /sbin/rc?.d
Cheers all! Who said SVR4 could move them from /etc ? :-) My other SVR4
systems still live in /etc!

Many thanks to the following, and the countless others to reply later:-
golden_at_falcon.invincible.com
Terje Sten Bjerkseth <tsb_at_admintec.no>
Michael Matthews <matthewm_at_sgate.com>
Jon Green - User Support <jon_at_worf.netins.net>
Hellebo Knut <Knut.Hellebo_at_nho.hydro.com>
Martin Moore <martin_at_jerry.alf.dec.com>
Gyula Szokoly <szgyula_at_skysrv.pha.jhu.edu>
David R Courtade <drc_at_amherst.com>
David W Lloyd <dwl_at_cs.strath.ac.uk>
Jim Wright <jwright_at_phy.ucsf.edu>
"Craig I. Hagan" <hagan_at_ttgi.com>
David Warren <warren_at_atmos.washington.edu>

Dave Roberts | "Just paddling out into big surf is a total
Unix Systems Administrator | commitment" * "You can't just call time-out
SAA Consultants Ltd | and stroll on back to the beach if you don't
Plymouth, UK <EDI Services> | like the way things are going" - Point Break