SUMMARY: alpha-osf-managers_at_ornl.gov

From: Amr Galal Fahim <agahmed_at_ns2.emirates.net.ae>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 1995 23:49:19 +0400

Thanks to everyone who answered my question.

My problem was defining a Telnet printer on DECservers 90M and 90TL. I got
many answers, the one that is close to the solution of my problem is that of
changing the lpd of DEC and using a different lpd. I didn't go for that
solution anyway as I have tried before a sample spooler DS7spool.c program
that comes as a sample program with the S/W of the DS90/DS700 servers. It
worked for the DS700 as well as for the 90s.

The answers I got are :

[1]

>We use 90TL's and were also not able to get DEC's lpd to work like we wanted.
>What we ultimately did was junk DEC's lpd entirely and start from scratch with
>the BSD lpd (downloaded from gatekeeper.dec.com). I should warn you that this
>was Ultrix rather than OSF/Digital Unix. You're welcome to the source if
>you want it. (It isn't the prettiest port in the world; I needed to use the
>90TL's imediately.) The nice thing about it is that now any machine (Sun,
>Linux, SGI) can run this LPD and print to the 90TL so we don't depend on the
>VAX (for this anyway).
>
>For what it's worth, if I had to do it over again, I'd leave lpd alone (or
>just get BSD's and trash DEC's) and implement things through a pair of
>filters (if/of). Of course, since it is working fine and the work's been done,
>we aren't about to tackle that.
>
> Sean
>
>>swatson_at_ultrix6.cs.csubak.edu

[2]

>Do yoy still have the entry in /etc/services
>printer 515/tcp spooler
>??
>If so, I guess lpd will work on port 515...

>Kalle Flodkvist
>UDAC
>Box 174 Email: Kalle.Flodkvist_at_udac.uu.se
>751 04 UPPSALA Fax: +46 18 51 66 00
>Sweden Telephone: +46 18 18 78 63

[3]

>Regards,
>
>I think that if the terminalserver is not running lpd you're lost unless you
>could setup the Alpha/terminalserver to communicate over LAT.
>Your printcap entry should then be something like (if using lpd)
>
> lp1|dutprint:\
> :lp=:\
> :rm=terminalservernameoraddress:\
> :rq=hoftm18:\
> :sd=/usr/spool/lpd1:
>
>--

> * Knut Helleboe | DAMN GOOD COFFEE !! *
> * Norsk Hydro a.s | (and hot too) *
> * Phone: +47 55 996870, Fax: +47 55 996342 | *
> * Pager: +47 96 500718 | *
> * E-mail: Knut.Hellebo_at_nho.hydro.com | Dale Cooper, FBI *

[4]