Probs.: xdm/C2sec printer & resolution

From: Rolf Kissel <kissel_at_unix-ag.uni-kl.de>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 20:39:34 +0100 (MET)

Dear DU/OSF Managers,

Having read all FAQ's and doku and after having tested my System OSF 3.0
toroughly for a week the following questions came up and I hope some of
you experts will be able to answer them:

1) I have Problems with my Motif XDM. When clicking my hostname on the
chooser, no login mask appears, only an error message: No match found
in database. Trying to find out what happeed I played aroundin my
/var/X11/xdm dir and also tried to exchange

DisplayManager.greeterLib: /usr/shlib/X11/libXdmDecGreet.so
!DisplayManager.greeterLib: /usr/shlib/X11/libXdmGreet.so

and vice versa. Result: With the libXdmGreet.so a login mask appeared,
but it was nor able to handle my shadowed passwords, the libXdmDecGreet.so
produced the formerly mentioned error.

Has anybody out there an idea about how to get the one lib use C2 or rid of
the error with libXdmDecGreet.so?

2) We have a Printer with a parallel connection. dxbook says osf 3.0
does not support parallel printers. Writing directly to /dev/lp0 works
though. The queuing system doesn't work though. To try to find another
solution I got some other sources for lpd and commands but unfortunately
these had trouble too. Now I am using pipes (extremely dirty patch) to
get my parallel printer working.

Has anybody out there an idea on how I can use parallel printers more elegantly
under OSF 3.0?

3) I dislike the resolution on my 20'' colour Term on console. Its 1024x7??
dots. How can I change this resolution? Is there a software waybbto do this or
are these only hardware limitations?

I would be very glad to get some solutions... I will summarize of course.

Greetings and Thanks in advance, Rolf Kissel.
--
Rolf Kissel                                  Rolf Kissel
Trippstadter Str, 121 (App 601A)    or:      51, rue des Peupliers