SUMMARY: xdm/C2sec printer & resolution

From: Rolf Kissel <kissel_at_unix-ag.uni-kl.de>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 1995 14:20:49 +0100 (MET)

Dear Alpha Managers,

Many thanks for your immediate replies, which were most helpful.

My three questions were as follows:

1) I has Problems with my XDM and Enhanced Security (People could not login
but got an Error Message instead).

Many Thanks for the Solution to Jon Buchanan who mailed me his reply and to
Ted Asocks whomailed a Summary concerning his similar Problem to this list
lately.

Let me cite Jon Buchanan:

'
For Problem 1, you need to add entries for remote X displays in the
following files on your Enhanced Security machine:

(eg, for PCs:)

/etc/auth/system/devassign
==========================

PC:v_devs=fred.rhon.itam.mx\:0,harry.rhon.itam.mx\:0:v_type=xdisplay:chkent:

/etc/auth/system/ttys
=====================

fred.rhon.itam.mx\:0|harry.rhon.itam.mx\:0:t_devname=PC:\
        :t_xdisplay:t_login_timeout#0:chkent:

You will be able to see how to add a much longer list of PCs or a different
category of machines.
'

2) My second Problem dealt with parallel Printers and their not being supported
by OSF 3.0.

Many thanks to Winfried Huber for proposing the solution of using a Terminal-
server. Lpr writes into a named pipe, A daemon, rtelpd ("reverse telnet print
daemon") transfers the data to the terminalserver via tcp/ip which then
prints to the parallel printer.

Let me propose a solution I use now:

I used the plp (portable line printer) and used a pipe command as printer. The
pipe does nothing else than a dd of=/dev/lp0.
Here the relevant line of my printcap:

:lp=|/usr/local/bin/print_me:\

print_me is a shell script which does the dd.
This is surely not the most elegant solution, but it works.

3) My third Problem dealt with the resolution of my console colour X-Display.

Thanks to Jon Buchanan again who proposed to have a look at
/usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0 and the xset -fp command.

And many thanks to Andreas Lundgren, let me cite him:

'
Usually the resoultion is dependant on what graphics card you have. If you
cannot set the resolution from boot mode, then maybe there are some
switches on the card itself? Just hope they are documented...
'

Many thanks also to all those replies that have not yet reached me.

Greetings, Thanks, Rolf.
--
Rolf Kissel                                  Rolf Kissel
Trippstadter Str, 121 (App 601A)    or:      51, rue des Peupliers