SUMMARY: swapping on /a

From: <SSL_at_ALPHA.SUNQUEST.COM>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 1995 18:19:05 -0700 (MST)

...<drum roll>... and the virtual big mac for fastest response goes to:
 -----
( )
~~~~~~~
( )
 _____
(ok so it doesn't look much like a big mac...)
"phil_at_wolf.ncat.edu"
>Shanna,
> It will write over the disklabel information... not at first but just
>when you think everything is okay... disaster! Sorry.

> Phil Krause 0 /\ 0 N C A&T State Univ.

Thanks! there were suggestions that I change the partition offset,
since the label is stored on sector 0 - however this is not an option,
since we use standardized partitions in supporting 500+ machines, and
don't usually like to go non-standard.

and an honarary virtual big mac to :
 -----
( )
~~~~~~
( )
 _____

wolinski_at_umalp1.physics.lsa.umich.edu
for pointing me to his recent summary on this issue
>When you've got more time, you should read the summary I posted
>recently on this very question. Basically, the consensus was that you should
>not trust Digital Unix to not overwrite the partition tables.... that is-
>you should use a partition that doesn't begin at block 0 for swapping if you
>want to play it safe.

Thanks for giving me the info so quickly.

ssl_at_slpha.sunquest.com