SUMMARY: OpenVMS VAX to Digital Unix AXP Migration Guide

From: Mark Perlman <parsec!perlmmr_at_uucp-1.csn.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 95 11:42:24 MDT

-----Begin original message-----
I am looking for the latest edition of the guide sited in the subject
above. I have been tasked to port an application from OpenVMS to Digital
UNIX (Ver 3.2c) and would like any/all the info available on what to look
out for. The guide that I have (see above) is the 1st Edition, June 1993,
and it talks about OSF/1 with no mention to Digital Unix (of course it is
just a later version of OSF/1 1.0).

If anyone knows how I can get the latest copy of any other info, please
let me know. If any digital employees are out there and you know of some
good stuff and maybe even tools to help convert from VMS system service
calls to Digital UNIX system calls, I would greatly appreciate hearing
about them and/or how to get them.
-----End original message-----

Many thanks to those responding to my request. Below is a summary of
what I found and who sent it to me. Thanks again...

-----Walter Alpuin <"VAX::WALPUIN"_at_mulita.coasin.com.uy> writes:
You can find what you want at node dec.com using netscape or gopher.
Search on "DIGITAL" and you will find online information that you can download.
-----

-----Barbara Baker <baker.barb_at_tchden.org> writes:
We have a copy of the "OpenVMS and DEC OSF/1 Interoperability Guide".
On the title page, it says "This is a revision to the Open VMS
VAX to DEC OSF/1 AXP Migration Guide". It's dated May 1994. We'd be happy
to loan it to you. Let me know!
-----

-----Tom Barkanic <tb_at_eci-cec.com> writes:
The book I have is: OpenVMS and DEC OSF/1 Interoperability Guide. Part Number
EC-N3399-43. I got mine through my local salesman for free.
[NOTE: the PN sited above has been replaced. This PN is no longer valid...]
-----

-----<AYERSJ_at_laser2.aes.com> writes:
The latest version is contained on the Digital UNIX Connections -
64 bit computing CDROM, part number AG-QBX6B-BE. They were passed out
last week at DECUS in San Francisco.
-----

-----Keith Weaver <Keith.Weaver_at_CCIW.ca> writes:
There is a guide published May 1995 called OpenVMS and Digital UNIX
Interoperability Guide (I believe this is the followup edition to the guide
you mentioned). The guide is free and the order number is EC-N4657-43. At
the time we received our copy June 1995, Richard Holstein said they had
distributed 2000 copies already. It is available via http://www.digital.com
in both text and postscript (according to the letter) and also in bound
form through Moore Business Systems National Customer Service
Hotline 1-800-356-6696.
-----

Mark Perlman
Director, UNIX Systems