sendmail rewrite rules request

From: <piercyp_at_ranplc.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 95 16:05:07 +0000

Hi DU managers,

Perhaps there is a sendmail expert out there who can help me with this one:

Currently all our internet mail comes into one of our OSF/1 boxes. However, we
have two communities of mail users.

1. Unix users who receive there mail without any problems as the mail spool area
from the "mail hub" is nfs mounted etc.

2. VMS users who currently have aliases set up on the mail hub. These aliases
send all mail to a VMS cluster member running Digital TCP/IP Services for VMS.

This works ok. However, I would prefer to send all local mail that is not
addressed to unix users to the VMS systems. This would mean that I would not
have to maintain an ever changing aliases file. The question is - can anyone
give me some pointers to help me generate the sendmail rewrite rules required. I
think the rules should do as follows at the point that sendmail has established
that the mail is destined for a local user.

1. Check aliases - if the destination user name is in aliases send using local
mail program.

2. Check to see if the destination user is a local unix user by checking the
passwd NIS map. If true send using the local mail program.

3. For anything left send it to the VMS system via smtp.Regards,

Any alternative/better methods are welcome.

Thanks,

Paul Piercy

Email: piercyp_at_ranplc.co.uk
Tel: 44 171 374 4841 X2640