DNS query.

From: Tel <Garry>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 1996 20:32:41 +1000

   Hi All,

   I am running DU V3.2A, and have some questions regarding BIND. I use the
   /etc/namedb/src/hosts file for allocating IP addresses for within our
   organisation. I then use "make hosts" from /etc/namedb to create the
   hosts.db and hosts.rev files.

   First of all, why are there all these "hosts-xx" entries in the hosts.db
   file? Do they serve a purpose? I can see where they come from, ie, the
   make_hosts script, and can remove the line that creates them easily
   enough, but I would like to know if they are needed.

   Secondly, how do other managers set up MX records for hosts? I find that
   I can manually edit the hosts.db file, but as soon as I do a "make
   hosts", I lose the entry.

   I would like to continue allocating addresses from src/hosts, for a
   number of reasons, including the fact that I have written procedures for
   some VMS users who are also authorised to allocate IP addresses, and I
   don't want to have to retrain them ;-)

   Any help appreciated,

   regards,
       Garry Optland.

   <garry.optland_at_com.pacpower.nswgovpower.telememo.au>