Bad file number message on Advfs file system

From: Harold Bussey <bussey_at_ebvx02.draper.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 1996 15:12:26 -0500

I have a 2100 running DU 3.2c on which all of the file systems are Advfs. On
one of the filesystems I have a directory which has been corrupted. Is there
a simple way to force the removal of the directory from the filesystem? All of
the commands I have tried to look at or remove the files all result in a `Bad
file number' message similar to the following.

* tornado:/alpha save: cannot stat /alpha/badfiles/top-3.3.tar: Bad file number
* tornado:/alpha save: cannot stat /alpha/badfiles/INSTALL: Bad file number
* tornado:/alpha save: cannot stat /alpha/badfiles/FAQ: Bad file number
* tornado:/alpha save: cannot stat /alpha/badfiles/Configure: Bad file number
* tornado:/alpha save: cannot stat /alpha/badfiles/Makefile.X: Bad file number

I was able to rename the directory but the backup routines constantly nag about
the `Bad file numbers'.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA
Harold Bussey