SUMMARY: LPD problems on 3.2C

From: Bryan G. Peterson <PETERSON_at_PHYSC1.BYU.EDU>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 1996 15:51 MST

Yesterday I inquired about hints on LPD that quit working in an upgrade from
1.3 to 3.2C. After looking at every file again as suggested by Chela Kunasz
(chela_at_jila.colorado.edu), checking ownership, protections, and everything
else about lpd I finally found the solution (at least, the problem went away).

I had forgotten to create the error log files but that didn't change anything.
The solution was that I had used the hosts.equiv format for the hosts.lpd file
and entered the hosts in the format
host.domain *
with the * to match all users. The solution was to delete the * on each line
so that there is only a host name. I can't see that there is anything written
in any of the man pages about what the format of the hosts.lpd file is
supposed to be but it does seem to be very happy with just the "host.domain"
alone on the line.

Thanks to Chela Junasz (chela_at_jila.coloradu.edu), Andrew Brennan
(brennan_at_hal.hahnemann.edu), and Thomas Owano (owano_at_saha.stanford.edu) who
all suggested looking carefully at files - especially /etc/hosts.lpd. The
error message (malformed from address) that was showing up in
/var/adm/syslog.dated/xxxx/lpr.log was rather misleading and at some point
I was able to get a "host.domain doesn't have access to printer yyyy" message
out of it (too many changes in one day to remember which one did that) which
made it obvious that something was wrong with the hosts.lpd file.

Thanks again to all who replied.

Bryan Peterson
peterson_at_physc1.byu.edu