SUMMARY: TACACS and License PAKS...

From: Cenon B.C. Marana Jr. <bonn_at_durian.usc.edu.ph>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 1996 21:16:47 +0800 (HKT)

My original questions:

> 1.) Has anybody experienced in installing Cisco terminal servers on Alpha
> systems running TACACS (under enhanced security)?

No comments/suggestion with regards to this question has been addressed.
Can some good soul perhaps shed me light on this? :)

> 2.) Can old user licenses of the DEC OSF/1 ver. 2.0b be also used for the
> newer Digital UNIX 3.2c?

PAKS are not specific to a version of the operating system. So far as they
are concerned, OSF/1 = Digital Unix. What matters is the expiration date
built into them.

Dr. Thomas P. Blinn explains:
----------------------------

Digital UNIX "user" licenses are not version specific. The license PAKs
can be used with any version of Digital UNIX (but only to represent the
valid, licensed use -- that is, the rules of the original license along
with any restrictions apply). In fact, your "old" LMF database from the
V2.0b system could be restored from backup onto your V3.2C system and it
would work (unless it contains licenses that have expired, but they did
not work on the V2.0B system either).

Alan Rollow supplements it more:
-------------------------------

To the best of my knowledge (internally available licenses), license units
are related to system capacity, not version. So, a license purchased for
a particular system should work from V2.0 to V3.2C, but moving the license
to a larger system may not provide enough units (a DEC 3000 to DEC 8400).

Thanks to the following:

Craig I. Hagan <hagan_at_ttgi.com>
Mike Iglesias <iglesias_at_draco.acs.uci.edu>
Selden E Ball Jr <SEB_at_LNS62.LNS.CORNELL.EDU>
Menelaos Karamichalis <mnk_at_wuerl.wustl.edu>
Eugene Chu <chu_at_musp0.Jpl.Nasa.Gov>
Dr. Thomas P. Blinn <tpb_at_zk3.dec.com>
Alan Rollow <alan_at_nabeth.cxo.dec.com>

Bonn
:)