From: <jebroderick_at_CCGATE.HAC.COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 96 09:14:41 PST

     Thanks to those who responded:

     warren_at_atmos.washington.edu
     dave.newbold_at_bristol.ac.uk
     lampert_at_alf.dec.com

     My original post:

>Can anyone recommend a combination of a FORTRAN compiler and
>debugger?

>We've tried the past few releases of Digital's FORTRAN. It seems to
>generate good code, but dbx and decladebug can't handle anything but
>the most minimal programs with out crashing, giving incorrect line
>numbers, failing to find variables or failing to trap errors. (Those
>two seem to work well on C, though.) GNU's gdb doesn't work
>on the output of Digital FORTRAN either. (can't find common block
>data, can't handle block data)

>GNU hasn't finished g77 yet, and we'd like something a little more
>optimizing than f2c (we do A LOT of number crunching)

>MicroWay claims they'll have an NDP FORTRAN/debugger package ready
>for DU in about two months.

     David Warren told me that he is using dbx and TotalView with DEC
     FORTRAN with no problems.

     Dave Newbold told me that he is using TotalView with DEC FORTRAN
     with minor problems.

     Pat Lampert reminded me to check with DEC for new beta prereleases of
     decladebug 4 (we are presently using decladebug 4.0-9).

     So now I'm trying TotalView with a demo license and it seems to work
     pretty well, but I'm having some of the same problems that Dave
     Newbold mentioned. I'm working with bbn to resolve them. (They can be
     visited at www.bbn.com.) If I get a combo that works, I'll post an
     update.

     Jim Broderick
     Hughes Missile Systems Company